Tess Kot is involved as a CAC Member
at Millhaven Institution in Ontario. At
our recent CAC AGM Tess reported on the new Recycling Program that has been
launched in Millhaven – and the J Unit in particular.
Hi Murray,
I love the website- way to go with
getting it organized so quickly.
I would love to
share Millhaven's wonderful recycling story.
I approached the Warden Curtis
Jackson in January 2011 about a recycling program to include J unit
offenders. He was very supportive and told me that would be my pet project
and to 'run with it', so I did.
I called all the different
institutions in Ontario and the Maximum Institutions in Canada to get
information, insight, and any help they could offer. Many gave me contact
information in the Federal Government to find out about any possible financial
assistance.
From there I contacted our
Environmental Safety Officer (they have changed a few times over the past 19
months). I have been now working with
Suzanne Ronan to get this going.
We met several times with the Head of
Maintenance, Larry Leeder, to get information concerning bins etc.
Suzanne has been instrumental by
working with the Unions concerning any safety or security issues. I have
to honestly say that Suzanne has been phenomenal in getting this program
actually up and running in the J unit.
There are signs displayed around J
unit with recycling as well as on the Teledon- the internal information channel
available on offender televisions.
There are now recycling bins for
aluminum pop cans in every range and an inmate has been hired on a part time
basis. That is the norm for new employment so inmates can participate in school
and programs.
He collects and disposes of the cans
in the appropriate recycling bins. The program has been actively running for
only a couple of months during which time we have only hit a few minor bumps.
The J unit offenders are very happy
about the recycling program as they too have been asking for one for quite a
while. The offenders are quite pleased that Habitat for Humanity is benefiting
from this program as many offenders want to give back to the community and this
is one very concrete way to accomplish that.
We have pop can collection at all inmate functions with the staff being very supportive in our recycling project. We are hoping to include plastic bottles sometime next year but with all the changes in Corrections only time will tell what happens with this project.
I cannot express my appreciation
enough to the wonderful staff and especially to Suzanne Ronan for finally
getting this recycling program up and running. Without her assistance and
persistence this never could have happened. I have always believed that the CAC
and CSC are a team and together we can accomplish anything.
Thanks Murray and I hope you enjoyed
our story.
Take care
Tess
BTW I am not sure how many pop cans
makes 26 pounds but it must be quite a few and that is 26 pounds less garbage!
Tess you are highly resourceful and insightful. This was a very inspirational and true story of how we have the power to effect positive change in our communities. Thanks so much for sharing and empowering us all.
ReplyDeleteThank you Murray for creating this platform for us to share and to learn best practices. Thank you.
Tonia